Thank you for your bug report, that's known upstream, see for example
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/3247

** Bug watch added: gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues #3247
   https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/3247

** Package changed: nautilus (Ubuntu) => gtk+3.0 (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gtk+3.0 (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gtk+3.0 (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gtk+3.0 in Ubuntu.

  Spacebar in Incremental search in open-file dialog doesn't work

Status in gtk+3.0 package in Ubuntu:

  Steps to reproduce

  Stimulate the Nautilus "open-file" dialog to appear somehow. (Say, by Ctrl+O
in Firefox on Ubuntu 20.04.
  Click the "search" icon (a magnifying glass at top right), or just start
typing.
  Begin to type a search in the search box that appears.

  Reproducible in:
  "Files" 3.36.3-stable on Ubuntu 20.04

  Current behavior
  There's a race condition, where, if you're faster than the search, you can
type something including a space. However, if you type slowly, as soon as you
hit space, the first result will be opened.

  (Note, this incremental search was buggy in a different way back in
  v3.26.4 on Ubuntu 18.04, when I reported this upstream, was told to
  take it downstream, and then had to go back to doing real work. See
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/issues/936#note_454231 )

  Expected behavior
  The incremental search will continue as we type in the search box, without
any focus-stealing.