UWN publish day today; so earlier today I loaded torbrowser on my impish system
and today it worked :)
apparmor: 3.0.0-0ubuntu9

I have since zsync'd the lubuntu impish daily & it works there too now

summary of https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/torbrowser-
launcher/+bug/1933886/comments/14

Thanks Thomas/teward

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apparmor in Ubuntu.

  abstractions/X: Possible regression of X session functionality by
  removing 'w' from /tmp/.X11-unix/* line?

Status in apparmor package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in apparmor source package in Hirsute:
  In Progress
Status in apparmor source package in Impish:

  [Impact]
  Any application that requires access to X11 sockets for the Display may want
to include abstractions/X in the AppArmor rules, which usually will include
rules that we would want for access to the Display socket for X.

  However, an upstream regression was made by changes to the
  abstractions/X to remove the 'w' and leave it read only.  This doesn't
  work - X11 needs readwrite on the sockets for it to properly interact
  with X11.

  This is a fundamental regression that has been fixed upstream.

  [Test Plan]

  Any application that needs X11 integration with apparmor rules should
  `#include <abstractions/X>`

  This is the problem with https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source
  /torbrowser-launcher/+bug/1933886 - while the fix for that would be to
  add `#include <abstractions/X>` in the ruleset, it will not function
  with the existing abstractions.  This is our test case in Impish:

   - add `#include <abstractions/X>` into
`/etc/apparmor.d/torbrowser.Browser.firefox` and the apparmor rule.
   - `sudo systemctl restart apparmor.service`
   - Attempt to run torbrowser with torbrowser-launcher, which should now
properly work with the revisions.  Without, torbrowser-launcher 'starts' Tor
Browser but then it just segfaults and stops running.

  We don't have a full test case for Hirsute at this time.

  [Where problems could occur]

  Based on my understanding of X11 and the upstream AppArmor bugs on
  this (refer to comments), there is no breakage introduced by this, in
  fact the breakage was already introduced upstream, so this simply
  fixes and removes the breakage when an apparmor rule includes these X
  abstractions and need to write to the socket but can't.

  Therefore, I don't believe there are any 'problems' that can occur
  with this change.

  [Original Description]

  In Focal, abstractions/X has the following section in it:

    # the unix socket to use to connect to the display
    /tmp/.X11-unix/* rw,
    unix (connect, receive, send)
         type=stream
         peer=(addr="@/tmp/.X11-unix/X[0-9]*"),
    unix (connect, receive, send)
         type=stream
         peer=(addr="@/tmp/.ICE-unix/[0-9]*"),

  However, in Impish, this seems to have changed:

    # the unix socket to use to connect to the display
    /tmp/.X11-unix/* r,
    unix (connect, receive, send)
         type=stream
         peer=(addr="@/tmp/.X11-unix/X[0-9]*"),
    unix (connect, receive, send)
         type=stream
         peer=(addr="@/tmp/.ICE-unix/[0-9]*"),

  This in turn breaks torbrowser-launcher's Firefox from launching, even
  if we include the X abstractions, because the display sockets in
  /tmp/.X11-unix/* (X0 for Display :0 for example) are not read/write.

  This looks like a MAJOR regression by removing the permissions.  Or
  has Impish apparmor not been updated for any Ubuntu specific changes?

  Package: apparmor 3.0.0-0ubuntu8
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.11.0-20.21+21.10.1-generic 5.11.21
  Uname: Linux 5.11.0-20-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu67
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: LXQt
  Date: Tue Jun 29 14:39:00 2021
  InstallationMedia: Lubuntu 21.10 "Impish Indri" - Alpha amd64 (20210628)
  ProcKernelCmdline: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-20-generic
root=UUID=d042602b-0900-4b2e-acb1-f67436e9805f ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
  SourcePackage: apparmor