Having kind of this issue on my Ubuntu Xenial (16.04) with Brother MFC
Laser-Printer. The printer worked fine on the same system for over 1
year and suddenly every(!) custom settings from GUI printing dialog was
ignored. I need papersize A4 but always got letter format.

The only workaround I found was to set A4 hard-coded in default PPA
file. But since today I can't switch dublex-printing or switch from
color-printing (default) to black and white!

Very annoying and I don't know what may have changed between once
working and stopped ignoring my custom printing settings for a new
printing-job.

In my case there already is '/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstopdf'.

Reinstalling the packages 'cups-filters cups-filters-core-drivers'
didn't help.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.

  cups always prints with the default page size

Status in GS-GPL:
  Invalid
Status in cups package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in ghostscript package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in cups source package in Intrepid:
  Invalid
Status in ghostscript source package in Intrepid:
  Invalid
Status in cups source package in Jaunty:
  Fix Released
Status in ghostscript source package in Jaunty:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  After the upgrade to Jaunty some users experience that a part of the
  page is cut when printing, or other kinds of misalignment.  (A fix is
  available, see below)

  Details:
  Cups does not print in any other page size than the one set in
/etc/papersize, if the requested page size is specified as a job option rather
than within the PS file. Pages are passed through "gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite ..."
which sets the page size to the default page size. Yet, I don't know whether
this is a bug in ghostscript or the intended behavior of ghostscript and a bug
in cups.

  Since the upgrade to Jauny beta, I experienced that evince would shift
  a document up when printing. It is reproducible. I print in A4 on a
  Canon IR3170Ci.

  The printed output is translated up. The upper part of the contents in
  not visible. I also tried another printer driver (hpijs instead of
  post-script) and did not observe any improvement.

  Changing /etc/papersize from letter to a4 allows me to print in a4.

  Printing from evince also working fine in intrepid.

  To reproduce the bug:
  lpr -omedia=A3 testpage.ps
  There should not be a problem if the postscript file itself requests a page
size.

  FIX:
  # (For simplicity, just paste this section to a terminal.)
  # Download the attached pstopdf and install it in /usr/lib/cups/filter/
  cd /tmp
  wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/25537150/pstopdf
  sudo cp pstopdf /usr/lib/cups/filter/
  # Then change the permissions of the installed file:
  sudo chmod ugo+rx /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstopdf
  # that's all.