upstart is no longer included in any currently supported release of
Ubuntu. I'm closing this bug report with a status of "Invalid" in order
to tidy the list of outstanding '100 Papercuts' issues.

** Changed in: hundredpapercuts

** Changed in: upstart (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to upstart in Ubuntu.

  When logging out (or shuting down), after confirming to log out (shut
  down) the system goes into text mode for a while (0.5-3/4 seconds)
  before showing LDM or splash screen.

Status in One Hundred Papercuts:
  Invalid
Status in upstart package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  When logging out (or shuting down), after confirming to log out (shut
  down), the system goes into text mode for a while (0.5-3/4 seconds)
  before showing LDM or splash screen. In the text mode there is a black
  screen with a few system messages. How long does this situation last
  varies a lot. Sometimes it is just approximately 0.5 second and only
  2-3 lines of system messages (the last one is then usually '* Checking
  out battery state') but sometimes it takes 3-4 seconds befor actual
  LightDM screen or splash appears and then there is a lot of system
  messages on the black screen. Anyway, the situation happens every
  sigle time I log out or shut , and it's been so at least since 11.10
  (the issue also present there).

  I realise this is not really a bug, however I've decided to report
  this since recently I've noticed two people new to Ubuntu, to whom I'd
  recommended the system, going panic ('The system is broken!') when
  they saw this black screen with system messages. This is a detail, but
  the detail that - IMHO - should be improved.

  Package: unity 5.8.0-0ubuntu2 [origin: Ubuntu]
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-20.33-generic-pae 3.2.12
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-20-generic-pae i686
  .tmp.unity.support.test.0:

  ApportVersion: 1.95-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: i386
  CasperVersion: 1.312
  CompizPlugins:
[core,composite,opengl,compiztoolbox,decor,vpswitch,snap,mousepoll,resize,place,move,wall,grid,regex,imgpng,session,gnomecompat,animation,fade,unitymtgrabhandles,workarounds,scale,expo,ezoom,unityshell]
  CompositorRunning: compiz
  CrashDB: unity