The last comments in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-
manager/+bug/1908050 are about the crash report to which I allude in the
bug description.

Additionally, Laney suggests that update-notifier shouldn't run when a
dist-upgrade is in progress so that package should also be modified to
check for this breadcrumb.

** Also affects: update-notifier (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apport in Ubuntu.

  u-r-u should leave a breadcrumb indicating a dist-upgrade is in
  progress

Status in apport package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in ubuntu-release-upgrader package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in update-notifier package in Ubuntu:

  Looking at the source code of ubuntu-release-upgrader it looks like an
  environment variable, RELEASE_UPGRADE_IN_PROGRESS, is set when an
  upgrade is being performed. However, it would be better if there was
  an indication that other programs, e.g. apport, could use to tell
  whether or not a release upgrade was in progress.

  This came up as we saw some crash reports in the error tracker that
  didn't make sense and a possible explanation is that a release upgrade
  was in progress.