This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
While running an Ubuntu kernel (not a mainline or third-party kernel)
please enter the following command in a terminal window:

apport-collect 1937951

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: focal

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  modules for non-existent hardware are loaded for unknown reason
  (Ubunntu 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-80-generic)

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:

  My laptop is Asus X302LA. I removed its HDD and plugged it externally via
USB-SATA convertor.
  To restore the system's bootability, I had to switch from MODULES=dep to
MODULES=most in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf and regenerate initramfs
images by command
  update-initramfs -u -k all
  After a successful boot I checked lsmod output and was surprised by a number
of loaded modules for seemingly absent hardware. Like, inv_mpu6050 and ak8975.
  Do I have a way to check this hardware is actually present and is reporting
any meaningful data ?
  If no, do Ubuntu maintainers of linux kernel and initramfs tools have a way
to avoid loading these modules when their hardware is absent ?