Public bug reported:

update to this pkg crashed my system.
I ended up reinstalling ubuntu 21.10 from USB stick, which fixed it.
I immediately ran "sudo apt -y upgrade" and it updated all packages.
While updating "libffi8" i received a dpkg error message.
on reboot, it loads to a screen that "something went wrong, log out and try
again" and it freezes at that screen.
i did not install anything beyond whatever the install medium puts on for a
standard install.
I am using the laptop now.  after a second reinstall I deselected the libffi8
package from the upgrade list, and its working just fine, leading me to the
conclusion that it is the offending package.
because I can not get to a terminal window or gnome desktop, I cannot run
apport on the system while crashed and frozen.  sorry.  but if there's anything
i can provide to help with a fix, let me know, and I will gladly do so.
please note, the bug report was generated on a working system, not the crashed
system.  I still have access to the crashed system if you have a suggestion how
to get any information out of it.  recovery mode does not load to gnome either.

Package: libffi8ubuntu1:amd64 3.4~20200819gead65ca871-0ubuntu5
ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu68
Architecture: amd64
CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
Date: Sun Sep 12 06:00:36 2021
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 21.10 "Impish Indri" - Alpha amd64 (20210501)
ProcEnviron:
 TERM=xterm-256color
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: libffi

** Affects: libffi (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug impish wayland-session

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to libffi in Ubuntu.

  update to this pkg crashes fresh install of ubuntu preventing long-in
  screen from appearing or anything else

Status in libffi package in Ubuntu: