Public bug reported:

hi RD & QA team,

(this is a duplicate of
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glib2.0/+bug/1391807, because
I don't know the bug should be report to ubuntu or glib.)

I find in xubuntu livecd mode (try without installing xubuntu), if I
delete a file on the desktop, xubuntu raises a dialog says "Unable to
find or create trash directory". But it's ok to delete a directory on
the desktop.

I follow the above error message in glib, and it goes to the function
g_local_file_trash() in gio/glocalfile.c. I notice this line "if
(file_stat.st_dev == home_stat.st_dev)". If it's true, glib thinks the
file to be deleted is a file on the save disk with the user home
directory, and creates the correct and well-known trash directory
"~/.local/share/Trash", then everything would go fine. If it's false,
glib treats the file to be deleted as on external disk, say, usb driver,
where there should be a ".Trash-<uid>" directory on the external device.

Unfortunately, the situation I stated in the first paragraph goes to the
"false" section of the "if" clause, because the file to be deleted on
the desktop is an overlayfs-ed file.

In kernel documentation we can read:
While directories will report an st_dev from the overlay-filesystem, all
non-directory objects will report an st_dev from the lower or upper filesystem
that is providing the object.

So I write a C program to get the stat for some files and directories as
follows:
path type st_dev
~/Desktop/1.jpg file 2050
~/Desktop/test/1.jgp file 2050
/etc/fstab file 2050
~/Desktop/test/ dir 17
/home dir 17
/home/mytestuser dir 17
/etc dir 17

As we can see, files share the same st_dev, while directoires share
another st_dev.

The reason for this in xubuntu livecd mode is, that livecd runs with
overlayfs upon squashfs image. Every file the user sees is in the upper
or lower file system while every directory the user sees is in the
overlayfs file system. The 2 file system have different st_dev number.

Now I think it's clear for the trash problem for glib with overlayfs.
glib thinks a file is on the different device than user home directory,
so glib is going to create ".Trash-<uid>" directory on the overlayfs
file system which is "/". But obviously the user has no permission to
create folder in "/". Therefore error occurs.

Any solution or workaround before glib gives patch?

Many thanks!

** Affects: glib2.0 (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to glib2.0 in Ubuntu.

  glib trash operates in wrong way, working with overlayfs

Status in “glib2.0” package in Ubuntu: