6 years later, I'm encountering the same issue in Ubuntu 18.04.

sudo apt install libfreetype6-dev:i386
[...]
 libfreetype6-dev:i386 : Depends: libc6-dev:i386 but it is not going to be
installed or
                                  libc-dev:i386
                         Depends: zlib1g-dev:i386 but it is not going to be
installed or
                                  libz-dev:i386
                         Depends: libpng-dev:i386 but it is not going to be
installed

And then, for the linux-libc-dev:i386 dependency:

sudo apt install linux-libc-dev:i386
[...]
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  build-essential g++ g++-7 gcc-7-multilib gcc-multilib libc6-dev libc6-dev-i386
  libc6-dev-x32 libfreetype6-dev libpng-dev libstdc++-7-dev linux-libc-dev
zlib1g-dev
  linux-libc-dev:i386

I echo kenorb's sentiment: is there a workaround to install the 32-bit
FreeType libraries?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to freetype in Ubuntu.

  [Multiarch] libfreetype6-dev:i386 dependencies issue

Status in freetype package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in glibc package in Ubuntu:

  I'm on
  alex@leon:~$ uname -a
  Linux leon 3.2.0-24-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 25 08:43:22 UTC 2012
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  It's a fresh 12.04 install from a mini 30MB iso dd'ed to a USB flash drive.
  So it's clean and up-to-date.

  I have libfreetype6 and libfreetype6-dev installed.
  To compile wine from source (32 and 64 bit version), I need both 32 and 64
bit development packages of several libraries.

  For gcc, I had to install gcc-multilib instead of gcc:i386 (gcc and gcc:i386
seem to be incompatible).
  But there is no freetype6-multilib package hence my bug report.

  I think the following console output will tell you more things than
  long sentences :

  alex@leon:~$ sudo apt-get install libfreetype6-dev:i386
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
    libexpat1-dev
    libc6-dev:i386 linux-libc-dev:i386 zlib1g-dev:i386
  Suggested packages:
    glibc-doc:i386 manpages-dev:i386
  Recommended packages:
    gcc:i386 c-compiler:i386
  The following packages will be REMOVED:
    build-essential dkms g++ gcc gcc-multilib libfontconfig1-dev
    libfreetype6-dev virtualbox-dkms
    libc6-dev:i386 libfreetype6-dev:i386 linux-libc-dev:i386 zlib1g-dev:i386
  0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 8 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
  Need to get 6,832 kB of archives.
  After this operation, 17.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.
  Do you want to continue [Y/n]? ^C

  I'm sure you understand removing build-essential and gcc is not really
  something I want to do.

  Hopefully, wine provides a configure switch (--without-freetype) to
  workaround the issue.

  If you need more details, just let me know.