Christian, thank you for stepping in.  It seems you finally got the ball
rolling here where I was unsuccessful in a good half dozen attempts in
#ubuntu-devel and other venues.  That's the good news I suppose.

I maintain my assessment of the situation of Ubuntu as stated in #16.
I've been with Ubuntu since breezy or so.  I've been very active in bug
triage, I know the processes.  I'm happy to back up my rant with facts,
if you want to hear.

I also maintain that this bug ticket and the problem was clearly
described including a test case in #7 and a clear analysis of where the
problem is IN THE CODE right in #1.  You don't need more bug triage at
that point.  You need a dev to look at the code and that did not happen,
no matter the effort, here and elsewhere.  I believe I even tried to get
the patch sponsored but nobody dared touching mvo's stuff without an
ACK.

I'm not sure, but it seems that both you and Miriam mistakenly assume
that this bug can be triggered by some configuration on the computer
where squid-deb-proxy-CLIENT is installed.  As stated in #7 "this
problem occurs whenever there is more than one host/IP discovered via
avahi." in other words, a certain state of affairs with regards to the
LAN (plus VPNs) is needed.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to python2.7 in Ubuntu.

  "uncaptured python exception"

Status in python2.7 package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in squid-deb-proxy package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in python2.7 source package in Bionic:
  New
Status in squid-deb-proxy source package in Bionic:
  New
Status in python2.7 source package in Focal:
  New
Status in squid-deb-proxy source package in Focal:

  I get the following error when running the discovery script on the
  command line.

  $ /usr/share/squid-deb-proxy-client/apt-avahi-discover
  error: uncaptured python exception, closing channel <AptAvahiClient>
('10.1.2.3', 3142): 2147483647 (<class 'socket.error'>:[Errno 111] Connection
refused [/usr/lib/python2.7/asyncore.py|read|83]
[/usr/lib/python2.7/asyncore.py|handle_read_event|446]
[/usr/lib/python2.7/asyncore.py|handle_connect_event|454])
  error: uncaptured python exception, closing channel <AptAvahiClient>
('10.0.3.1', 3142): 2147483647 (<class 'socket.error'>:[Errno 111] Connection
refused [/usr/lib/python2.7/asyncore.py|read|83]
[/usr/lib/python2.7/asyncore.py|handle_read_event|446]
[/usr/lib/python2.7/asyncore.py|handle_connect_event|454])
  error: uncaptured python exception, closing channel <AptAvahiClient>
('172.24.74.129', 3142): 2147483647 (<class 'socket.error'>:[Errno 111]
Connection refused [/usr/lib/python2.7/asyncore.py|read|83]
[/usr/lib/python2.7/asyncore.py|handle_read_event|446]
[/usr/lib/python2.7/asyncore.py|handle_connect_event|454])
  http://172.24.74.145:3142/

  The last line still returns the proper proxy URI so as far as I can
  tell things are still working.  The IP 10.1.2.3 is for an n2n VPN.
  This is on trusty with version 0.8.6ubuntu1.

  To trigger the bug the environment setup needs to be in a specific way.
  It seems for the problem to occur it need more than one host/IP discovered
via avahi. This can be probed via $ avahi-browse -kprtf _apt_proxy._tcp
  and e.g. the common LXD setup of IPv4 + ipv6 is NOT enough to trigger it.

  TODO: a sample output of the above command in an affected environment
  could be helpful.

  TODO: if possible outlining how the environment can be configured to
  have this multi host/IP reply in avahi would be helpful as well.