Hey @carnage-mode, where did you go? ;)

I have looked a bit more into this, and my understanding is that there
are two packages — fonts-sil-abyssinica and fonts-freefont-ttf — with
fonts which can render Amharic and which are installed by default on
Ubuntu.

But only by installing fonts-noto-core, without uninstalling any of the
others, I notice a significant difference at e.g.
<https://am.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E1%8A%A0%E1%88%9B%E1%88%AD%E1%8A%9B>
since it makes use of "Noto Sans Ethiopic".

Final freeze for Ubuntu 21.10 is tomorrow, but if you confirm very soon
that it would be helpful, I can change it so that fonts-noto-core is
automatically installed if you install the Amharic language. If you
would like to see more extensive tweaks, it will need to be discussed
further after the Ubuntu 21.10 release.

Let me know.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu.

  Change default Amharic font from Abyssinica SIL to Noto Serif Ethiopic

Status in language-selector package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in ubuntu-meta package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Description of problem:

  Abyssinica SIL is an old font. It's barely legible and breaks in most
  apps. Noto Serif Ethiopic, on the other hand, is a modern and well
  designed font.

  Noto Serif Ethiopic is distributed with the Open Font License, so
  packaging it won't be a problem.

  Link

https://fonts.google.com/noto/specimen/Noto+Serif+Ethiopic?noto.query=Amharic&noto.script=Ethi

  Version: 20.04.3

  How reproducible:
  always

  Steps to Reproduce:
  1. Pretty much using the the Amharic language anywhere on Ubuntu