The Precise Pangolin has reached end of life, so this bug will not be
fixed for that release

** Changed in: xkeyboard-config (Ubuntu Precise)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in

  Can't use space bar in search bar when using french alternative
  keyboard

Status in libgnomekbd :
  Expired
Status in Listen:
  Confirmed
Status in QuodLibet:
  Unknown
Status in Rhythmbox:
  Expired
Status in SciTE:
  New
Status in xkeyboard-config:
  Fix Released
Status in quodlibet package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in rhythmbox package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in xkeyboard-config package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in xkeyboard-config source package in Precise:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  [Impact]
  In the fr(oss) keymap, both space and Ctrl + space return the same
XLookupString, which prevents space from being used in some applications.

  This had been fixed in lucid and maverick, but the patch appears to
  have been misplaced during the (rather major) update from 1.8 to 2.1,
  thus the reports of it regressing in comments #135 and #141, as well
  as dupe bug #938671.

  [Development Fix]
  Patch 128_fix_oss_ctrl_space_accelerator.patch fixed this problem in lucid
and maverick, but was dropped in natty when we updated to upstream
xkeyboard-config 2.1.  However, the patch was also sent upstream and accepted
there.  So for quantal a cherrypick of that commit was backported.

  [Stable Fix]
  Since currently quantal is shipping the same xkeyboard-config version as
precise, we can carry the same patch there as well.

  [Test Case]
  1. Set keyboard to fr(oss).  (Note due to unrelated bug, you need to do this
in your /etc/defaults/keyboard config file.)
  2. Start rhythmbox
  3. Do a song search
  4. Type in a search term that includes a space character

  Broken Behavior:  Space triggers the play/pause function in rhythmbox
  Fixed Behavior:  A space character is inserted

  [Regression Potential]
  The patch is one we carried in lucid and maverick (when rhythmbox was the
default music player IIRC), and has been upstream for a while.  So I think it
is a safe change.

  Actually, I'm surprised there have not been more complaints about it
  lately.  But during the interim we'd switched to banshee so perhaps
  users didn't notice it.

  [Original Report]
  I tried to search for "The Do" in the search bar, but the space bar didn't
write a space. Instead, it played the currently selected song (space is the
shortcut for playing/pausing the song). I've just installed the last Hardy
release candidate.

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386