I believe livecd-rootfs and live-build have been fixed for this.

** Changed in: cloud-images

** Changed in: initramfs-tools (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  Default initrd is LZMA compressed, yet rebuilt initramfs are gzip?

Status in cloud-images:
  Fix Released
Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:

  $ file ~/Downloads/xenial-server-cloudimg-amd64-initrd-generic
  /home/xnox/Downloads/xenial-server-cloudimg-amd64-initrd-generic: LZMA
compressed data, streamed

  Yet, in the base image I don't see that initramfs config options set
  COMPRESS=lzma. Thus first boot is lzma, yet on package upgrades i
  guess initrd would be regenerated as gzip...

  Isn't the fact that all of our images use lzma and/or xz compression
  means we should switch Ubuntu default to lzma and/or xz as well?