This is very annoying, I agree that either, apt-mark should not accept
'uninstalled' packages or we should avoid losing packages marked as
'hold'

Steps to reproduce (assuming none of these two packages are available)

Trying to mark as hold two uninstalled packages... and notice that the
second we add the second one we lost the status for the first one..

> apt update
> apt-mark hold p0f
p0f set on hold.
> apt-mark showhold
p0f
1
> apt-mark hold dovecot-core
dovecot-core set on hold.
> apt-mark showhold
dovecot-core
> grep -c p0f /var/lib/dpkg/status
0

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  apt-mark overwrites existing held package info

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in apt package in Debian:

  Running apt-mark hold commands overwrites / nullifies any existing
  held package data. Not sure if this is by design, but I assume it's
  meant to be cumulative.

  Ubuntu version: 16.04.2 LTS
  Package version: apt 1.2.19 amd64

  Expected behaviour: