Oh, thanks for all of you reported this issue. I'm using Ubuntu20.04.2
now, and encountered the exactly same issue as you met about 12 years
ago on Ubuntu9.04. It seems this is a very old bug in Ubuntu or linux
bug on its HDMI driver. And because not so many people using external
HDMI monitor, so this issue couldn't be paid attention to for
linux/Ubuntu engineering team.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  Screen blinks randomly on external monitor

Status in xorg package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Hardware: Asus F8Va laptop (Core 2 Duo P8600, ATI HD3650, 1440x900)
  OS: Ubuntu 9.04 beta x64 (Wubi installation inside Windows Vista Home Premium
x64 SP1)

  External monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 2493HM, 1920x1200), connected via HDMI,
blinks several times a minute, randomly. When there is no user activity, it
doesn't seem to blink however.
  By "blinking" I mean, the monitor goes off and then on, like it usually does
when it changes resolution, only resolution doesn't change. Also, when I move
windows around, thin horizontal stripes flash in fraction of second from time
to time (only on external monitor).

  Screen configuration:

  Samsung 24": On
  Resolution: 1920x1200
  Refresh rate: 60 Hz
  Rotation: Normal

  Laptop 14": On
  Resolution: 1440x900
  Refresh rate: 67 Hz
  Rotation: Normal

  Mirror screens: unchecked

  Relative position of screens (physical and in Display Preferences)
  laptop screen below the external screen, centred.