I don't know much, but this issue affects my Core2Duo E8200 system as well.
Every Ubuntu and it's official flavors fail to install on this C2D E8200 system
of mine.
And I am doing fresh/clean install, not upgrades, which also are failing for
some people with the same "initramfs-tools error, exit code 1" as can be found
on google search

But on my i7 2630qm system, Ubuntu and flavors complete fresh install
nicely. No error to be found anywhere. And I have no reason to believe
that doing upgrades from previous Ubuntu versions would fail in my Core
i7 2630QM system.

I marked another bug (1947854) as this one's duplicate, because I
believe the issue to be the same, though that person who filed  bug
1947854 has provided lots of logs and files, I believe him to be more of
a technical person than I am. What that person (Ymir) is doing is not
fresh install but is an upgrade from previous version.

To the bug squashers,
please forgive me for my lack of technical know how and for the lengthy comment.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  package initramfs-tools 0.140ubuntu6 failed to install/upgrade:
  installed initramfs-tools package post-installation script subprocess
  returned error exit status 1

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:

  I don't know

  ProblemType: Package
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 21.10
  Package: initramfs-tools 0.140ubuntu6
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu70
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  Date: Fri Oct  8 12:36:07 2021
  ErrorMessage: installed initramfs-tools package post-installation script
subprocess returned error exit status 1
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 21.10 "Impish Indri" - Beta amd64 (20210922)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  Python3Details: /usr/bin/python3.9, Python 3.9.7, python3-minimal,
3.9.4-1build1
  PythonDetails: N/A
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   dpkg 1.20.9ubuntu2
   apt  2.3.9
  SourcePackage: initramfs-tools
  Title: package initramfs-tools 0.140ubuntu6 failed to install/upgrade: