I've looked at this issue again in reference to
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=990834 and while I
still cannot reproduce, I plan to change to the following (I won't ship
the commented out lines of course):

[Unit]
Description=Uncomplicated firewall
Documentation=man:ufw(8)
#DefaultDependencies=no
#Before=network.target
Before=network-pre.target
Wants=network-pre.target

[Service]
Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=yes
ExecStart=/lib/ufw/ufw-init start quiet
ExecStop=/lib/ufw/ufw-init stop

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

This removes DefaultDependencies=no so that 'sysinit' will be pulled in and
changes the single 'Before=network.target' to instead have
Before=network-pre.target and Wants=network-pre.target. This won't help people
who have different firewall software installed (like some of the comments), but
should make startup more robust (eg, for those needing something from sysinit)
while still allowing it to come up before the network.

** Bug watch added: Debian Bug tracker #990834

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ufw in Ubuntu.

  ufw does not start automatically at boot

Status in ufw:
  Invalid
Status in ufw package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in ufw source package in Xenial:
  Invalid
Status in ufw source package in Bionic:
  Invalid
Status in ufw source package in Cosmic:
  Invalid
Status in ufw source package in Disco:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Whenever I boot into 17.10 ufw is always inactive, even though
  /etc/ufw/ufw.conf has this:

  # Set to yes to start on boot. If setting this remotely, be sure to add a rule
  # to allow your remote connection before starting ufw. Eg: 'ufw allow 22/tcp'
  ENABLED=yes

  Package: ufw 0.35-5
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue Oct 24 13:56:40 2017
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140722.2)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: ufw
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to artful on 2017-10-24 (0 days ago)
  mtime.conffile..etc.default.ufw: 2015-06-17T22:01:02.089170