Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to tracker in Ubuntu.

  File moved with Cut-Paste from a search filter still appears on
  original screen and if deleted disappears from new folder

Status in Nautilus:
  Unknown
Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in tracker package in Ubuntu:

  Affected version
  Nautilus 3.38 on Ubuntu 20.10 (but I also saw this bug some months and
versions ago)

  I don't know if it's a specific Ubuntu bug or an upstream one, I reported it
1.5 month ago on Gitlab Gnome without any answer nor review:
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/issues/1723

  Resume: File moved with "Cut" from a window with an active search
  filter, and pasted in another folder on a second Nautilus window (not
  a subfolder), still appears on the first original screen (list is not
  automatically updated) - and if deleted from here, actually they
  disappear from the new folder !

  It can occur to loose important documents  - I often make direct
  shift-deletes, without recycler storage...

  Steps to reproduce
  I open a Nautilus window, go to a folder and make a search filter, for
example 20 files appear on the window which name contains my search filter.

  If I select one of them, make Cut / Ctrl-X, open a new Nautilus
  window, go to another folder (which is not a subfolder of the first)
  and make Paste / Ctrl-V, it wells copy the file in the new folder.

  If I switch to the first Nautilus window with the original folder and
  search filter active, the moved file still appears on the list and I
  can open it. I think I've made an error (Ctrl-C instead of Ctrl-X) so
  I shift-delete it, it disappears from the list and only 19 files
  remain.

  Current behavior
  But… If I go to the second Nautilus window and the 2nd folder, the file has
also disappeared from it ! File in the first window was "transformed" to a link
instead of being removed, and suppressing it also deletes the file in its new
folder - in my case, I lost several documents like this because of Shift-Delete
and not trash use.

  Expected behavior
  After Cut - Paste, in the case of 2 Nautilus windows are opened, the file(s)
moved from the first one should not be still visible in the search list, there
should be an automatic refresh.

  If I do a Copy-Paste instead of a Cut-Paste, problem does not occur:
  delete only removes file in the fist original folder, not on the
  second. If I close the search filter, it's also OK, file(s) moved no
  more visible. And of course, if after Cut I stay in the same Nautilus
  window and go to another folder to paste, no problem: bug only occurs
  in case of a second window opened.

  Thanks in advance and best regards.