> Do we even know for sure this krb5-k5tls is enough for fips
compliance, and that it replaces *all* crypto code in kerberos with
openssl calls?

No it does not. But intention is to make the over the network
communications with TLS to be FIPS-TLS compliant which is cheaper to
certify when reusing a certified TLS component library.

** Changed in: krb5 (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to krb5 in Ubuntu.

  link libkrb5 with openssl

Status in krb5 package in Ubuntu:

  In Ubuntu we provide a cryptographic core based on a small set of
  packages that we FIPS certify [0]. Applications and libraries should
  not bundle their own crypto code but should use the cryptographic core
  to benefit from the certification, but also importantly to reduce bugs
  due to small cryptographic libraries that that are not studied as much
  as more popular counterparts. This bug is to change libkrb5 to use the
  openssl crypto code instead of bundling its own on the next ubuntu
  release.

  [0]. https://ubuntu.com/security/fips