Trying to investigate
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/modemmanager/+bug/1949621 I
made a few local backports of modemmanager / libmm / libqmi packages
from next 22.04 (but the source was still too old to handle the modem),
and when I reverted to latest impish version, it seems the bug
disappeared?

I can now successfully:
 - use mmcli, as a standard user, like before
 - use modem-manager-gui, as a standard user, like before
 - see modem from GNOME Control Center and interact with it, as a standard
user, like before.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to modemmanager in Ubuntu.

  GNOME Control Center cannot connect to ModemManager with
  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied"

Status in modemmanager package in Ubuntu:

  Upgraded my laptop (ThinkPad P14s Gen2) from 21.04 to 21.10, trying to get
access to Modem Manager fails with:
  > error: couldn't create manager:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied

  This was working on 21.04.

  STR:
   - Open Settings, go to "Network"
  OR
   - mmcli -m 0

  Running mmcli as root workaround the problem, but I'm not able to use
  network applet to connect my modem.

  > $ id
  uid=1000(alex) gid=1000(alex)
groupes=1000(alex),4(adm),6(disk),20(dialout),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),107(lpadmin),124(sambashare),137(libvirtd),155(docker)