>More likely that the two dependencies this bug is about would be cut as
you request, or that nothing will change at all.

I'm  not requesting they be cut. I'm not sure why you keep saying that
when it just isn't true. I'm requesting they change to recommends. If
Ubuntu sees fit to not include recommends for certain packages on the
minimal install to hit certain targets or for users pulling in
metapackages with --no-install-recommends, that obviously isn't up to
me. Giving the user choice does not mean they aren't by default,
installed.

>But I also imagine nobody will ever bother with those because it's not
actually important.

Go look at size reduction over the years from bug reports due to
individual files, kernel drivers, and pulled in packages that weren't
actual depends. It wasn't so long ago this was done on purpose for
Ubuntu server and snap purposes in a very open way. Every single time
you can keep disk and RAM requirements the same LTS over LTS, that is a
win for everyone due to the vast array of devices and service packages
that Ubuntu runs on across countless industries. Every single package
not downloaded, that wasn't needed, is energy and paid bandwidth saved.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  xorg metapackage depends on x11-apps and xorg-docs-core

Status in xorg package in Ubuntu:
  Opinion

Bug description:
  xorg, a required dependency of ubuntu-desktop and ubuntu-desktop-
  minimal requires the package x11-apps. Currently Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy
  defaults to Wayland. These applications are ancient and now most
  people won't even be using X11, much less these example applications.
  Why are x11-apps going to be required in April of 2022?