I don't know if the speed is exactly doubled, by but changing the output
definitely changes the playback speed of any media.
I tried making a video to show it: https://youtu.be/hlqw_ijdxOE

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Wayland dual monitor switch from 30Hz to 60Hz: High pitch audio double
  playback speed

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  I have a desktop computer with a 60Hz 4K display connected through Display
Port. The display is a ThinkVision X1 with built in audio. With the Display
Port cable I am then able to output sound from the monitor and this works
without any issues.
  I have now added a 4K Samsung television through HDMI to the same GPU, which
also allows me to do 4K at 60Hz, albeit only with Wayland. In Xorg I can only
do 30Hz on the television while doing 60Hz on the ThinkVision X1. It is clear
however, that when it is set to 60Hz in Wayland, the animation on the
television is much more smooth.

  The problem is that whenever I set the television to 60Hz, the playback of
any sound is both high pitched and faster than normal. If I play a video in
YouTube, the video appears to playback about twice as fast as normal and and
very high pitched sound (everyone sounds like chipmunks). This is the case on
the entire system (also when playing the video or any other sounds on the X1
display at 60Hz). Only if I set the refresh rate, on the television, to 30Hz
again does everything play and sound normal again.
  It is only the playback of media that is doubled in speed. Everything else
(animations, mouse, etc.) is still behaving as normal.

  If I change audio output to the ThinkVision X1 (or something else) at
  60Hz while also being connected to the television at 60Hz, the audio
  stays high pitched and sped up.

  If I unplug the main display, ThinkVision X1, then the playback of
  media on the television becomes normal.

  I have tried with different +100 USD HDMI cables, that are all rated
  as HDMI 2.0 and the behavior stays the same.

  My system is Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I tried in a LiveUSB 21.10, but the
  behavior was the same.

  I have an AMD Radeon VII GPU (Has 3x Display Port and 1x HDMI).

  As mentioned I cannot test it in Xorg, but that is only because it
  does not allow me to set the refresh rate to 60Hz.

  I am uncertain whether this is related to MESA, Pulseaudio or maybe
  Mutter/Wayland?