That's true that it works fine in jammy, but the breakage does still
occur sometimes on focal.  In case others run across this issue on
focal, probably worth keeping this bug report open for reference.

** Also affects: libsoup2.4 (Ubuntu Focal)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to libsoup2.4 in Ubuntu.

  Flaky test brotli/basic on focal amd64?

Status in libsoup2.4 package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in libsoup2.4 source package in Focal:

  The brotli/basic test case periodically fails.  It appears that a few
  retriggers can result in a pass:

  https://autopkgtest.ubuntu.com/packages/libs/libsoup2.4/focal/amd64

  The failures look like this in autopkgtest logs:

      ERROR:../tests/brotli-decompressor-test.c:59:test_brotli:
  assertion failed ((char*)out_bytes->data == contents): ("***\nU" ==
  "***\n")

  I've replaced most of the text with '***' to highlight the difference
  is a 'U' character appended.

  The test case is essentially doing a decompression of 'brotli-
  data/compressed.br' and comparing that it matches 'brotli-
  data/uncompressed.txt'.  I've done this manually using the brotli cli,
  and the files do indeed have the same content.  I've also built the
  package and run the test case locally in a focal lxc container on
  amd64:

      $ cd
libsoup2.4-gu/debian/libsoup2.4-tests/usr/libexec/installed-tests/libsoup-2.4
      $ while : ; do ./brotli-decompressor-test | grep 'brotli/basic';  sleep
0.1; done

  I left that to run several hundred cycles but no failures reported at
  all.

  There are a bunch of instances of this failure, here's a few for
  reference:

https://autopkgtest.ubuntu.com/results/autopkgtest-focal/focal/amd64/libs/libsoup2.4/20210602_152107_d1d56@/log.gz

https://autopkgtest.ubuntu.com/results/autopkgtest-focal/focal/amd64/libs/libsoup2.4/20210531_201241_8b1be@/log.gz

https://autopkgtest.ubuntu.com/results/autopkgtest-focal/focal/amd64/libs/libsoup2.4/20200508_211619_2aec8@/log.gz

  That last link is the earliest instance I've been able to find.

  You'll notice in the second two links they also have a failure "not ok
  2 /ssl/tls-interaction", but the first link shows only the brotli
  failure.

  Interestingly, I've not found instances of this failure against other
  architectures than amd64, nor have I seen it on releases other than
  focal.  No dice from googling for bug reports or other reports of test
  failures with libsoup2.4 + brotli.

  The test's code is doing this, basically:

          SoupBrotliDecompressor *dec = soup_brotli_decompressor_new ();
          do {
                  result = g_converter_convert (G_CONVERTER (dec), in_buf,
length, out_buf, sizeof out_buf, 0,
                                                &bytes_read, &bytes_written,
&error);
                  g_byte_array_append (out_bytes, out_buf, bytes_written);
                in_buf += bytes_read;
                  length -= bytes_read;

          } while (result == G_CONVERTER_CONVERTED);

  soup_brotli_decompressor's code is here:

  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libsoup/-/blob/master/libsoup/content-
  decoder/soup-brotli-decompressor.c

  But I'm not spotting anything that would obviously cause a 'U' to be
  randomly appended sometimes.  And why 'U'?  UINT? Unknown? User error?

  There are some interesting bug reports in GNOME about brotli in
  libsoup's bug tracker (e.g. #106, #146, #119, and #193), but none that
  match this.