This is a weird bug and difficult to debug. However:
I have Ubuntu 21.04 fully updated as of 2021-09-23.
Printing something that has been captured by gnome-screenshot will print fine
with my HP Color Laserjet Pro M477fdw printer. However, it will leave the
printer in a state where any subsequent print will fail, regardless of document
or machine. Even printing from a Macbook Air will fail. The printer reports any
subsequent file to be printed as corrupt and nothing comes out. The only way to
recover from this state is to power-cycle the printer.
This ONLY happen with screenshots. It happens BOTH when the screenshot has been
pasted into Libre Office, and when the screenshot has been saved to a .png and
printed from Image Viewer.
This issue does however NOT happen on my CANON Pro 100 inkjet printer.
So blame the printer, yes, but I have not been able to repeat it without
gnome-screenshot. It's the common factor.
Before Ubuntu 21.04 the default screen capture program was different, or at
least it looked different, but previously I had no problem. I have been running
Ubuntu with this printer for many years.
I expect to be able to print two screen shots in sequence without requiring to
power cycle the printer in between.
I can upload an example file (that only print once) if required.

** Affects: cups (Ubuntu)

Screen shot leaves HP printer in non-working state
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1944727
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Touch
seeded packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.