** Also affects: initramfs-tools (Ubuntu Jammy)

** Tags removed: rls-jj-incoming

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  Boot error: libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_exit to work

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in initramfs-tools source package in Jammy:

  [Bug description]

  On a jammy installation, which was upgraded from focal, after a full-
  upgrade and a reboot,

  I enter the LUKS password to decrypt the disk. Then I get the
  following error:

  libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_exit to work

  After the error is shown, the system asks for the password again
  (which never works, always throwing the same error).

  [Root cause]

  I was able to decrypt the disk with the same password by booting from
  a live usb. Which allowed further investigation.

  The error shown in the LUKS password prompt menu comes from
  https://github.com/bminor/glibc/blob/glibc-2.34/nptl/pthread_exit.c#L31-L32,
which indeed shows that pthread_exit fails when libgcc_s.so.1 is missing.

  From

https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/tree/hook-functions?h=import/0.140ubuntu10#n260,
  we noticed that libgcc_s.so.1 is only copied if

  1) copy_exec is called for a binary directly linked to libgcc_s.so.1, or
  2) copy_exec is called for a binary linked to libpthread

  The cryptsetup initramfs hook, calls copy_exec for /sbin/cryptsetup,
  which is linked to libargon2.so.1, which is linked to libpthread.so.0.
  This covers case (2) above. As a consequence, libgcc_s.so.1 is copied
  to the initrd image and the error reported here is not seen.

  However, since glibc 2.34, libpthread is shipped within glibc, and the
  binaries are no longer linked to libpthread.so.0. As a consequence, an
  argon2 package built with glibc 2.32 will no longer be linked to
  libpthread.so.0 and libgcc_s.so.1 will no longer be copied to the
  initrd image. Triggering the reported error.

  This can be verified in these two argon2 builds, from the same
  sources, but with different glibc versions:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/argon2/0~20171227-0.2build21.04.0/+build/21066610

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/argon2/0~20171227-0.2build22/+build/22255217

  Still lvm2 is a seeded package, which Recommends thin-provisioning-
  tools. thin-provisioning-tools ships a initramfs hook that calls
  copy_exec for /usr/sbin/pdata_tools, which is directly linked to
  libgcc_s.so.1. This covers the case (1) above and should suffice to
  ensure the boot process works properly.

  Since thin-provisioning-tools is just a recommends for lvm2, it could
  be removed from the system (and indeed, for some reason, was not
  present in my focal=>jammy installation). In this case, a new kernel
  installation should trigger the reported error.

  [Reproducer]

  - Install jammy with a LUKS encrypted disk
  - remove thin-provisioning-tools
  - perform a full-upgrade (make sure the kernel was upgraded or run
update-initramfs manually)
  - reboot and verify you can no longer get past the decrypt password prompt
screen

  [Workaround]

  A workaround for anyone affected would be to install thin-
  provisioning-tools and run update-initramfs.

  [Impact]

  Users upgrading from focal to jammy will eventually be locked out of
  their systems in case they are using LUKS encryption.

  [Additional information]

  While this issue is similar to
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/1861757,
  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=950254, and
  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=950551,
  This is a different bug, with a different root cause.

  Thanks to sergiodj for the pairing session on the root cause analysis.