https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/upower/+bug/1420395 is similar
but with distinct symptoms - here too many updates appear to be not the
cause of insane CPU use

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to upower in Ubuntu.

  upower hogs CPU (50%, 27% etc, laptop lags)

Status in upower package in Ubuntu:

  `upower --monitor-detail` has shown noninsane battery info twice and
  is silent otherwise, `upowerd` appears in `top` as eating 27%, 50% CPU
  (not all the time, but most of the time it is somehow top user of CPU)

  Computer become noticeably laggy recently, `upowerd` is so far sole
  abnormal symptom

  I was advised to file bug by people from Lubuntu Telegram channel. I
  would be happy to provide more info, but plan to reinstall OS soon due
  to macabre lagginess.

  Package: upower 0.99.11-1build2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.4.0-99.112-lowlatency 5.4.162
  Uname: Linux 5.4.0-99-lowlatency x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.21
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: LXQt
  Date: Sun Feb 13 18:42:10 2022
  InstallationMedia: Lubuntu 20.04.1 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64
(20200731)
  SourcePackage: upower