** Description changed:

+ [Impact]
+
+ This bug makes it more difficult for Wayland users to report bugs with
+ apport. When a Wayland user tries to use the -w,--window option, apport
+ fails silently. We do not want users to face a high barrier to
+ submitting bug reports.
+
+ The patch for this bug adds a message explaining that the -w,--window
+ option cannot be used on Wayland, and suggests a method for finding the
+ window's PID instead.
+
+ [Test Plan]
+
+ * Log on to Ubuntu on Wayland. You can check that
$XDG_SESSION_TYPE=="wayland" in your current session.
+ * Open a terminal, and run `ubuntu-bug -w`.
+ * Click on any other window, and observe that the apport UI will not respond.
+
+ [Where problems could occur]
+
+ The patch uses os.getenv to check that $XDG_SESSION_TYPE is set to
+ 'wayland'. If either of these strings in the patch were wrong, or the
+ environment variable was not used in the target release, the condition
+ would likely never be true.
+
+ [Original Description]
+
  I want to report a Bug about the application Studio Controls.

  As I did it already quite a few times, I run "ubuntu-bug -w", get a
  message that I can select the window of the app I want to report a bug
  about after closing this message.

  I close the message with a click on the appropriate button.

  I click on the window of the application "Studio Controls" that I want
  to report a bug about.

  Nothing happens.

  I wait for a few minutes. Still nothing happens.

  In the console where I started ubuntu-bug -w I see the following
  message:

  (apport-gtk:11537): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 20:06:41.384:
  gdk_wayland_window_set_dbus_properties_libgtk_only: assertion
  'GDK_IS_WAYLAND_WINDOW (window)' failed

-
  What I expect:

  Usaully when I use this procedure, after a relatively short while a new
  message window pops up asking me if the bug should be reported and
  showing me the data that is sent to Launchpad.

  I tried other applications, too, same effect.

  Package: apport 2.20.11-0ubuntu71
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.13.0-21.21-lowlatency 5.13.18
  Uname: Linux 5.13.0-21-lowlatency x86_64
  ApportLog:
-
+
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu71
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Dec  1 20:01:23 2021
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan Ermine" - Release amd64 (20191017)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: apport
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to impish on 2021-11-14 (16 days ago)

** Patch added: "apport-lp-1952947-focal.debdiff"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apport/+bug/1952947/+attachment/5561446/+files/apport-lp-1952947-focal.debdiff

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apport in Ubuntu.

  ubuntu-bug -w (using xprop) doesn't work under wayland

Status in apport package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in x11-utils package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in apport source package in Focal:
  Triaged
Status in x11-utils source package in Focal:
  New
Status in apport source package in Impish:
  Triaged
Status in x11-utils source package in Impish:
  Invalid
Status in apport source package in Jammy:
  Fix Released
Status in x11-utils source package in Jammy:
  Invalid

Bug description: