This can be reproduced without xmltodict, using only the stdlib:

>>> from xml.parsers import expat
>>> parser = expat.ParserCreate(namespace_separator=':')
>>> parser.Parse('<foo></foo>', True)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
xml.parsers.expat.ExpatError: out of memory: line 1, column 0

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to expat in Ubuntu.

  Seeing out of memory errors after libexpat1 upgrade to
  2.2.5-3ubuntu0.4 (bionic) or 2.2.9-1ubuntu0.2 (focal)

Status in expat package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in python-xmltodict package in Ubuntu:

  I started seeing errors parsing XML files today (Feb 22, 2022) after
  my system was updated to 2.2.5-3ubuntu0.4. This is on a bionic server.

  The parsing is being done by python3's xmltodict module, which uses
  python3 expat as the actual parser. This is the error it raises:

  xml.parsers.expat.ExpatError: out of memory: line 1, column 0

  So far this is happening on multiple xml files, although they all come
  from the same source (these are jenkins config.xml files). I'm working
  on coming up with a minimal test case which I'll provide once I have
  it cleaned up of any private data.

  [System info]
  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:        18.04