   No distinction between link-up and link-down interfaces

  boot into link down state

Status in netplan:
  In Progress
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  I have multiple NICs in my Ubuntu 17.10 server, and i want at least
  one of them to be configured but not brought UP on boot. I want it to
  boot into link state DOWN. I'd also prefer the link to be / stay down
  during boot-up.

  My use case requires manual 'ip link set enp2s0f3 up', or 'ifup
  enp2s0f3' as it were. When the interface is being brought up manually,
  it should already be configured. I'm looking for a link state toggle,
  like a hardware switch on a Cat6 cable.

  My request is intended to reproduce the behaviour of the old
  ifupdown's /etc/network/interfaces, without enabling 'auto' or 'allow-
  hotplug'.

  #auto enp2s0f3
  #allow-hotplug enp2s0f3
  iface enp2s0f3 inet static
          address 10.10.1.10
          netmask 255.255.255.0
          network 10.10.1.0
          broadcast 10.10.1.255
          gateway 10.10.1.1
          dns-nameservers 10.10.1.1

  It seems neither systemd, nor NetworkManager "have any way to specify
  you want a configured device to stay down". -- i'm quoting cyphermox
  from the freenode/netplan IRC