My laptop ThinkPad L420 had 14.04 Ubuntu with lvm but no encryption.
Now, after doing fresh install to 14.10 with encrypted hard drive, I get
this problem. Probably unrelated issue, but I had to remove splash from
kernel boot parameters even in order to get to the "enter
passphrase"-part.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  Cryptsetup error during boot: /scripts/local-top/cryptroot: line 1:
  can't open /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root: no such file

Status in “cryptsetup” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “initramfs-tools” package in Ubuntu:

  While booting cryptsetup outputs following error: /scripts/local-
  top/cryptroot: line 1: can't open /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root: no such
  file, seems to be not related to this particular installation as saw
  the same output on other machines, also seems to be nothing major as
  everything boots fine, so just reporting to let you know it's there.

  Package: cryptsetup 2:1.4.3-4ubuntu4
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.2
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Mon Jan 27 15:58:16 2014
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" - Release amd64
(20131016.1)
  MarkForUpload: True
  SourcePackage: cryptsetup
  crypttab: sda3_crypt UUID=68851a49-83a4-41eb-84c0-27d15280bbc1 none luks