A very important detail:
Ubuntu builds webkit2gtk with -DUSE_WPE_RENDERER=OFF
This was done because we would need Ubuntu Security Team sign off to get
wpewebkit in to Ubuntu's 'main' archive section instead of in 'universe'.

It looks like this bug is specific to that config.

Copying from the mesa bug:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/6236#note_1329402

"The issue is that WebKitGTK's internal Wayland compositor needs to
implement zwp_linux_dmabuf_v1 rather than relying on
EGL_WL_bind_wayland_display.

In the meantime, we could revert the part which makes us strictly rely
on dmabuf on the Mesa client side, and keep both in parallel for a
little bit. But WebKitGTK should really be implementing this interface."

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  [jammy regression] webkit apps do not display content (yelp, epiphany,
  gnome-online-accounts etc)

Status in Gnome DevHelp:
  Invalid
Status in Mesa:
  Unknown
Status in Webkit:
  Confirmed
Status in epiphany-browser package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in evolution package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in liferea package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in mesa package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in webkit2gtk package in Ubuntu:

  Impact
  ------
  All webkit using apps for affected users display a blank screen.

  Original Bug Report
  -------------------
  Evolution has suddenly stopped displaying message contents on the last 24h.
Starting it up from the command line shows this output:

  ```
  EGLDisplay Initialization failed: EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED
  Cannot create EGL context: invalid display (last error: EGL_SUCCESS)
  ```

  I don't know if it's related, but googling around shows some webkitgtk
  hits on this error.

  The email contents are however clickable. They're just not rendered to
  screen (see attached file).

  Deleting the evolution folders from `~/.config`, `~/.cache` and
  `~/.local/share` does not help.

  Email accounts are all google, configured through gnome online
  accounts.

  Workaround #1
  -------------
  You can run the app from the command line with
  WEBKIT_DISABLE_COMPOSITING_MODE=1 evolution
  (Replace evolution with the name of the webkit app you are trying to use)

  Workaround #2
  Log out.
  Select your name on the login screen.
  Click the gear button and choose Ubuntu on Xorg.
  Enter your password to finish logging in.

  Package: evolution 3.44.0-1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu79
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown