It seems that view, as provided by vim.tiny now attempts to load
defaults.vim, which is shipped in the large vim-runtime package. All
vims depend on vim-common. It would seem to me that we should move
defaults.vim from vim-runtime to vim-common.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to vim in Ubuntu.

  vim.tiny reports 'E1187: Failed to source defaults.vim' on execution
  in default install

Status in vim package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 22.04

  When running vim.tiny it says:

  $ vim.tiny
  E1187: Failed to source defaults.vim
  Press ENTER or type command to continue

  This is due to the defaults.vim file not being available.  If you just
  run it as vi

  $ vi

  this message does not appear as vim.tiny runs in compatibility mode.  I found
mention of this issue in:
  https://github.com/grml/grml-etc-core/issues/99

  The defaults.vim file is provided by the package vim-runtime.

  I'm unsure what the issue is, if something needs to be in
  /etc/vim/vimrc.tiny or a /etc/vim/vimrc needs to be provided dpkg
  claims vimrc is in vim-common, but no file is installed for me from
  that package, or if vim-runtime needs to be a required package for
  vim-tiny

  $ dpkg -S /etc/vim/vimrc
  vim-common: /etc/vim/vimrc
  $ ls -al /etc/vim/vimrc
  ls: cannot access '/etc/vim/vimrc': No such file or directory

  I discovered this because my .selected-editor was vim.tiny after
  running crontab -e

  $ crontab -e

  Select an editor.  To change later, run 'select-editor'.
    1. /bin/nano        <---- easiest
    2. /usr/bin/vim.tiny
    3. /bin/ed

  Package: vim-tiny 2:8.2.3995-1ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.15.0-1005.5-raspi 5.15.30
  Uname: Linux 5.15.0-1005-raspi aarch64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu81
  Architecture: arm64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown