apt 1.2~exp1 came with the follow NEWS entry:
  [ Automatic removal of debs after install ]
  After packages are successfully installed by apt(8),
  the corresponding .deb package files will be
  removed from the /var/cache/apt/archives cache directory.

  This can be changed by setting the apt configuration option
    "Binary::apt::APT::Keep-Downloaded-Packages" to "true". E.g:

  # echo 'Binary::apt::APT::Keep-Downloaded-Packages "true";' \
      > /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01keep-debs

  Please note that the behavior of apt-get is unchanged. The
  downloaded debs will be kept in the cache directory after they
  are installed. To enable the behavior for other tools, you can set
  "APT::Keep-Downloaded-Packages" to false.

If you have disabled this feature you can do manual maintenance with the
`autoclean` and `clean` commands. More automatic maintenance can be
achieved with our cronjob, see `/usr/lib/apt/apt.systemd.daily`for
details, which can e.g. be configured to remove files after a few days
as you seem to prefer here.

As this default behavior is a deliberate choice and there are various
options to change this I am closing this report as not a bug.

** Changed in: apt (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  downloaded packages are removed just after installation

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Opinion

Bug description:
  When installing a package with 'apt install [package name]', I see the deb
files which appear in /var/cache/apt/archives.
  However, just after installation, the deb file are deleted from this
directory.
  I would prefer a deletion after a few days. Sometimes, we install/uninstall
and reinstall.

  Package: apt 2.4.5
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE
  Date: Sun Apr 24 16:10:48 2022
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Release amd64
(20220419)
  SourcePackage: apt