The pulsemixer workaround works for me, thanks.

I can reproduce the problem by changing the the Output Configuration to
Analog Stereo input (yes that probably shouldn't be here to select). The
problem then persists after a reboot.

OS:     Ubuntu 21.10 - Kernel 5.13.0-41
Device: Schiit - Fulla 3 USB Headphone Amp w/ Mic input

Only syslog message is: "gsd-media-keys[1761]: Unable to get default
sink"

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  usb audio: cannot get ctl value: req = 0x81, wValue = 0x0, wIndex =
  0x1400, type = 3

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  I typed in terminal:

      alsamixer

  Then I wanted to change the sound card (I have connected an external
  sound card via USB).

  I pressed F6, selected the external sound card and pressed enter.

  alsamixer crashed and outputed:

      cannot load mixer controls: Broken pipe

  My ALSA information is located at http://www.alsa-
  project.org/db/?f=1871c086b58a2965d18cfb38483794788187edfb