** Changed in: libnotify (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to libnotify in Ubuntu.

  notify-send(1) can't replace an existing notification

Status in libnotify package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in libnotify package in Debian:

  Binary package hint: libnotify-bin

  Ubuntu 8.04, libnotify-bin 0.4.4-3build1.

  notify-send(1) is very useful but it doesn't tell me the notification
  ID that's been created, nor does it let me specify that to replace an
  earlier notification.  See http://www.galago-
  project.org/specs/notification/0.9/x408.html#command-notify, in
  particular the replaces_id parameter and the return value.

  I'd like to be able to use it something like

      id=$(notify-send --show-id foo)
      sleep 60
      notify-send --replace $id bar

  This would be great for long-running shell scripts that are monitoring
  something.