** Also affects: cron (Ubuntu Bionic)

** Also affects: cron (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: cron (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: cron (Ubuntu Bionic)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to cron in Ubuntu.

  Warning messages from stat printed on installation with no user
  crontabs

Status in cron package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in cron source package in Xenial:
  Triaged
Status in cron source package in Bionic:

  On installation of cron on a new system, or (I expect) an upgrade with
  no user crontab files the following is printed:

  Setting up cron (3.0pl1-128.1ubuntu1.1) ...
  stat: cannot stat '*': No such file or directory
  stat: cannot stat '*': No such file or directory
  stat: cannot stat '*': No such file or directory
  Warning: * is not a regular file!

  This is related to the fix for CVE-2017-9525 introduced in
  3.0pl1-128.1ubuntu1.1. The for loop at line 66 of cron.postinst needs
  to have a guard like the following added to it:

  [ "$tab_name" = "*" ] && continue

  We have observed this with Bionic, I haven't checked any other Ubuntu
  releases.

  Cheers,
  Andrew