** Bug watch added:
gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/-/issues #840
   https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/-/issues/840

** Also affects: network-manager via
   https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/-/issues/840

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  22.04 beta Network Manager still sets wrong IPv6 routing

Status in NetworkManager:
  Unknown
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  that's a bug I've already reported earlier both to ubuntu and network-
  manager upstream, and nobody seems to care about.

  I'm using an AVM FritzBox, a router family very common in Germany and
  Europe for DSL and DOCSIS, but saw reports of people confirming the
  problem with other routers.

  The router sends ICMPv6 router advertisements, which contain for both
  the configured site-local address and the provider-assigned world-
  routable address range both a

  * prefix information
  * router advertisement on itself

  All other OS and machines I have, including

  * Debian
  * Ubuntu Server
  * Ubuntu Core
  * Raspberry Pi OS
  * Other Linuxes
  * MacOS
  *...

  correctly set a link route on the network device for both the official
  and the site local address.

  Only Ubuntu Desktop machines with that damned Network Manager set a
  route to the router instead of a link route.

  The consequence is, that IPv6 still works, but significantly to slow,
  since packages are not switched on the network switch, but routed on
  the router, which dramatically decreases speed.

  I've reported this upstream to Network Manager, see the discussion on

  https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/-/issues/840

  but they do not even seem to understand the issue (Network Manager
  written by people not really understanding routing...)

  Their point of view is that the router will fix things by sending
  redirects. However, ICMPv6 redirects are considered a security problem
  and usually recommended to be turned off.

  The answer from NetworkManager developers is to fix the router, not
  the Network Manager to stop sending router advertisings, but can't
  explain why all other OS and other Linux distributions, including
  Ubuntu server and Ubuntu core do it correctly, and just NM doing it
  wrong.

  So Ubuntu/NetworkManagers unability to fix or even notice this
  essential problem forces people to either accept terribly slow IPv6
  traffic in local networks, or to leave the machine open for ICMPv6
  redirects, which, in general, is a security flaw and vulnerable.