** Bug watch added: Debian Bug tracker #1011249

** Also affects: cyrus-sasl2 (Debian) via

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to cyrus-sasl2 in Ubuntu.

  Crash when using DIGEST-MD5 with SSF>=128

Status in cyrus-sasl2 package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in cyrus-sasl2 package in Debian:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  I'm still troubleshooting this, but at the moment apps negotiating a
  DIGEST-MD5 authentication and requesting some form of transport
  encryption (ssf != 0) are crashing. The only example I have so far is
  the openldap client tools (so just one app really).

  ssf=0 works:
  $ ldapwhoami  -U ubuntu@lxd -w ubuntusecret -O maxssf=0
  SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
  SASL username: ubuntu@lxd
  SASL SSF: 0
  dn:uid=ubuntu@lxd,cn=vms,cn=digest-md5,cn=auth

  ssf=128 crashes:
  $ ldapwhoami  -U ubuntu@lxd -w ubuntusecret -O maxssf=128
  SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
  SASL username: ubuntu@lxd
  SASL SSF: 128
  SASL data security layer installed.
  Segmentation fault (core dumped)

  The crash seems to be inside openssl. I'll get a proper stack trace.

  2.1.27, also built with openssl3, does not crash. So far only 2.1.28
  (in kinetic-proposed).