Hey Chris! Any reason you only released the focal one?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to shadow in Ubuntu.

  [SRU] Please support group manipulation with "extrausers"

Status in shadow package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in shadow source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in shadow source package in Focal:
  Fix Released
Status in shadow source package in Impish:
  Won't Fix
Status in shadow source package in Jammy:

  [Impact]

  * In order to use the microk8s snap in Ubuntu Core, one currently
  needs to be root. This is far from optimal, since normally (on desktop
  and server installations) this is not necessary.

  * This make it hard to provide consistent documentation on microk8s
  across all supported device, if we have to take the "sudo" command
  into account, and how file permissions for generated files might be
  affected.

  [Test Plan]

  The issue can be reproduced on Ubuntu Core 18, 20 and 22. The steps
  are as following (replace "<uc.img>" with the actual path of your
  Ubuntu Core image file:

      qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -smp 2 -m 1500 \
          -netdev user,id=mynet0,hostfwd=tcp::8022-:22,hostfwd=tcp::8090-:80 \
          -device virtio-net-pci,netdev=mynet0 \
          -drive file=<uc.img>,format=raw

  After configuring your account, connect to youd device via SSH:

      ssh <user>@localhost -p 8022

  And issue these commands

      sudo snap install microk8s --channel=latest/edge/stable

      # microk8s is going to eat up all your disk space, so stop it as soon
      # as the prompt comes back:
      sudo microk8s stop

      # Add your user to the microk8s group
      sudo usermod -G snap_microk8s $(whoami)

  The last command will fail unless this bug is fixed. If the bug is
  fixed, the command will succeed, and after logging out and in again,
  you can verify that you've been added to the snap_microk8s group by
  running the "groups" command.

  [Where problems could occur]

  * The patch only touches error code paths and adds a fallback
  mechanism in them. Therefore, "normal" operations, where these
  commands would have succeeded before, will not be affected at all.

  * In those cases when usermod fails because it failed to find or load
  the requested user/group, we reset the user/group database paths to
  our writable user/group databases, and retry the operation. Note that
  the path for our database is hardcoded in the program source, so the
  security risk seems contained. We do not add additional command-line
  parameters.

  [Other Info]

  Original bug description
  ========================

  Currently doing something like:

      sudo usermod -a -G snap_microk8s dbeamonte

  on a Ubuntu Core system will fail with

      usermod: /etc/group.15965: Read-only file system

  This is because the existing usermod patches to detect
  the extrausers file do not cover this case. Attached
  a simple patch that enables it. I will give this patch
  a test run in our image PPA for jammy and if things look
  good I would like upload to 22.04 and SRU for 20.04 and
  18.04.