If there's any bug in Ubuntu here, it's that the release upgrader didn't
try harder to get the system into a consistent state before offering a
reboot.  No bug in pam, which is simply one of the packages to be
upgraded.

libpam-modules refused to be upgraded because there were references to
obsolete modules in the system config and one or more services would be
broken after upgrade.  At the per package level there really isn't a
better way to handle this.

** Package changed: pam (Ubuntu) => ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pam in Ubuntu.

  Upgrade from Ubuntu 21.10 to 22.04 fails - unmet dependencies: libpam-
  modules

Status in Ubuntu on IBM z Systems:
  Incomplete
Status in ubuntu-release-upgrader package in Ubuntu:

  ---Problem Description---
  Upgrade from Ubuntu 21.10 to 22.4 fails

  I run do-release-upgrade and I got a message upgrade completed with
  errors. I rebooted the server and it is now in an undefined state
  between 21.10 and 22.04. Not all packages have been installed. I
  attach apt log and output of some commands:

  root@tuxmaker:~# cat /etc/os-release
  PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 21.10"
  NAME="Ubuntu"
  VERSION_ID="21.10"
  VERSION="21.10 (Impish Indri)"
  VERSION_CODENAME=impish
  ID=ubuntu
  ID_LIKE=debian
  HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/";
  SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/";
  BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/";

PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy";
  UBUNTU_CODENAME=impish

  root@tuxmaker:~# do-release-upgrade
  Checking for a new Ubuntu release
  Please install all available updates for your release before upgrading.

  root@tuxmaker:~# apt dist-upgrade
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree... Done
  Reading state information... Done
  You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
   libpam-modules : PreDepends: libpam-modules-bin (= 1.3.1-5ubuntu11) but
1.4.0-11ubuntu2 is installed
                    Recommends: update-motd but it is not installed
  E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or
specify a solution).

  root@tuxmaker:~# apt --fix-broken install
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree... Done
  Reading state information... Done
  Correcting dependencies... Done
  The following additional packages will be installed:
    libpam-modules
    libpam-modules
  1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1208 not upgraded.
  4 not fully installed or removed.
  Need to get 0 B/279 kB of archives.
  After this operation, 1,024 B disk space will be freed.
  Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
  Preconfiguring packages ...
  (Reading database ... 401827 files and directories currently installed.)
  Preparing to unpack .../libpam-modules_1.4.0-11ubuntu2_s390x.deb ...
  dpkg: error processing archive
/var/cache/apt/archives/libpam-modules_1.4.0-11ubuntu2_s390x.deb (--unpack):
   new libpam-modules:s390x package pre-installation script subprocess returned
error exit status 2
   /var/cache/apt/archives/libpam-modules_1.4.0-11ubuntu2_s390x.deb

  Contact Information = pp...@de.ibm.com

  ---uname output---
  Linux tuxmaker 5.13.0-44-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 18 13:30:03 UTC 2022
s390x s390x s390x GNU/Linux

  Machine Type = z15, 8561-701

  ---boot type---
  upgade

  ---Kernel cmdline used to launch install---
  do-release-upgrade

  ---Install repository type---
  Internet repository

  ---Install repository Location---
  http://ports.ubuntu.com:80/

  ---Point of failure---
  Other failure during installation (stage 1)