The verification of the Stable Release Update for lxc has completed
successfully and the package is now being released to -updates.
Subsequently, the Ubuntu Stable Release Updates Team is being
unsubscribed and will not receive messages about this bug report.  In
the event that you encounter a regression using the package from
-updates please report a new bug using ubuntu-bug and tag the bug report
regression-update so we can easily find any regressions.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lxc in Ubuntu.

  SRU of LXC 4.0.12 to focal (upstream bugfix release)

Status in lxc package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in lxc source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in lxc source package in Impish:

  LXC released 4.0.12 as a bugfix release and is now in jammy. We'd like
  to line things up in focal.

  [Impact]
  The proposed SRU will bump from 4.0.6 all the way to 4.0.12, lining it up
with what's currently in jammy. We've been skipping a few of the bugfix
releases in focal so far, mostly catching up when we're starting to see
problems with the older version.

  In this case, we've seen a number of issues when running with the HWE
  kernels as well as autopkgtest issues on foreign architectures (arm64
  and s390x), all those will go away with this bump as we've confirmed
  everything is clean in jammy.

  Changelog:

    * Cherry-pick upstream bugfixes (stable-4.0):
      - 0002-lxc-checkconfig-Fix-bashism.patch
      - 0003-doc-Fix-reverse-allowlist-denylist.patch

    * New upstream bugfix release (4.0.12):
      (https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org/t/lxc-4-0-12-has-been-released/13288)
      - Fixed CRIU restoration of containers with pre-created veth interfaces
      - Fixed issue with kernels lacking SMT support
      - Extended cgroup2 config options in lxc.mount.auto (cgroup2)
      - lxc-download now relies on HTTPS for validation (avoids GPG issues)

    * New upstream bugfix release (4.0.11):
      (https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org/t/lxc-4-0-11-has-been-released/12427)
      - Core scheduling support (lxc.sched.core)
      - riscv64 support in lxc.arch
      - Significantly improved bash completion profile
      - Greater use of the new VFS mount API (when supported by the kernel)
      - Fix containers with empty network namespaces
      - Handle kernels that lack TIOCGPTPEER
      - Improve CPU bitmask/id handling (handle skipped CPU numbers)
      - Reworked the tests to run offline

    * New upstream bugfix release (4.0.10):
      (https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org/t/lxc-4-0-10-has-been-released/11618)
      - Fix issues with less common architectures
      - Support for additional idmap mounts
      - nft support in lxc-net
      - Cleaner mount entries for sys:mixed
      - Switched GPG server to keyserver.ubuntu.com

    * New upstream bugfix release (4.0.9):
      (https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org/t/lxc-4-0-9-has-been-released/10999)
      - Fix incorrect personality setting when running 32bit containers on 64bit

    * New upstream bugfix release (4.0.8):
      - Fix CGroup attach against older running containers

    * New upstream bugfix release (4.0.7):
      - Testing improvements including fixes from oss-fuzz
      - Rework of the attach codepath
      - Cgroup handling rework

    * Bump to debhelper 12 (allows focal SRUs)
    * Bump standards to 4.6.0.1
    * Add lintian overrides for incorrect bashism detection
    * Remove bash completion install logic (now done upstream)

  Just like Ubuntu itself, upstream releases long term support releases,
  e.g. 4.0, and then periodic point releases including all the
  accumulated bugfixes.

  Only the latest upstream release gets full support from the upstream
  developers, everyone else is expected to first update to it before
  receiving any kind of support.

  This should qualify under the minor/micro upstream bugfix release
  allowance of the SRU policy, letting us SRU this without paperwork for
  every single change included in this upstream release.

  [Test Plan]
  lxc has autopkgtests which will assert that the binaries built in -proposed
are functional.

  [Where problems could occur]
  This is catching up a fair bit on recent kernel API changes, including
cgroup1/cgroup2 support, handling of nftables, riscv64 and core scheduling
which were all needed to properly handle the most recent HWE kernels especially
as we're getting ready for Ubuntu 22.04's 5.15 to get pushed to focal.

  We've had all that code running on well over a million of LXD snap
  users for a few months now without seeing any issues (or more
  precisely, those issues we found have been all been resolved as of
  4.0.12).

  However what LXD exercises isn't 100% of LXC and it's certainly possible that
we missed a corner case in one of those changes.
  The good news is that this would most likely be triggered by a HWE kernel, so
a viable workaround in many cases would be to temporarily go back to the
original kernel (5.4) while the issue is sorted out in a follow up SRU.

  It's also worth noting that LXD CI runs daily tests against over a
  dozen different kernels coming from various distros which helps us
  identify such issues quite early on.

  [Other Info]
  Unless absolutely required, we're not intending to push for an SRU to impish
as it has a reasonably recent LXC (4.0.10) and realistically, folks are quite a
bit more likely to wait to upgrade from focal to jammy than jump through EOL
releases from focal to impish.

  Should someone do an upgrade to impish, we've confirmed that the
  upgrade is resolvable and that they'll just be left with a more recent
  version of LXC than that in the impish archive, until jammy releases
  and they upgrade to it.