@Kevin. Thanks, it's a bit of an annoying situation. The current update
is not only in proposed but was moving to updates before you reported
the regression, which means we can't simply delete it from proposed, we
need a fix or revert. I was hoping upstream would figure out a fix
quickly enough that we could do another bugfix upload. If that doesn't
play out this way we need to figure out what to do.

The initial reason for SRUing the update, out of keeping up with
upstream fixes, was that it fixes some hotspot issues which is a topic
we are getting complain about
(https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/-/commit/6a82dd18)

We could revert back the version, including other fixes. Or revert the
change that created the regression you reported. Note that while it
seems an annoying issue to you that's the only report we got so far
which suggest it's not a common configuration for our users, which is
also a reason why I decided to wait a bit to see if upstream was
reacting before reverting.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  NetworkManager 1.36.6 no longer prefers DHCPv6 addresses over SLAAC

Status in NetworkManager:
  New
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  Situation:

  My network has both DHCPv6 and SLAAC (autoconf) for IPv6. From a
  privacy perspective, for readability reasons and for network
  management policies, DHCPv6 should *always* be preferred over SLAAC
  addresses when available. And according to RFC 6724, the smaller /128
  scope of the DHCPv6 address should be chosen over the larger /64 scope
  of the SLAAC address.

  NetworkManager has always been able to adhere to that by simply
  setting ip6.privacy=0 for the connection (in nm-connection-editor
  *not* selecting "Prefer temporary address" for IPv6 privacy
  extensions). Then it would use the DHCPv6 address as the source for
  all outgoing traffic.

  So if you would - for instance - run `curl ifconfig.co`, the DHCPv6
  address would be used to connect to the outside world and be echoed
  back.

  Regression:

  Since the update to 1.36.6, this is no longer the case. NetworkManager
  now routes outgoing traffic through the SLAAC address, even if
  ip6.privacy=0 is set for the connection.

  Constantly removing the SLAAC addresses with `ip addr del` or
  disabling SLAAC RA's on the router are now the only ways to stop
  NetworkManager from preferring SLAAC over DHCPv6. None of the local
  options in NetworkManager 1.36.6 are able to restore the previous,
  desired and correct way of working: the SLAAC address should never be
  used as the preferred address if a DHCPv6 lease is given.

  Looking at the changelog of NetworkManager 1.36.6, multiple things
  regarding IP address order and temporary addresses have been changed
  in that release, any of them (or a combination) introducing this bug:

  * Fix a bug in synchronization of IP addresses with kernel that could lead to
a wrong address order.
  * Ignore addresses from DHCPv6 when the Otherconf router advertisement flag
is set.
  * Ensure temporary IPv6 addresses are removed on disconnect and reapply.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/-/blob/nm-1-36/NEWS

  Steps to reproduce:

  1. Connect to a network where the router sends "A" and "M" bits in the
  RA's and has a DHCPv6 server running (e.g. any OpenWrt router).

  2. When running `ip -6 a`, the list now sorts SLAAC addresses above
  DHCPv6 addresses. With NetworkManager 1.36.4 and earlier, this was not
  the case. (The Linux kernel uses the address highest in the list as
  preferred.)

  3. When running something like `curl ifconfig.co`, the SLAAC address
  is being returned, which makes sense as that is now preferred by the
  kernel. (But it shouldn't be.)

  Desired behaviour:

  NetworkManager should always sort DHCPv6 addresses above SLAAC
  addresses, as is the case for all versions prior to 1.36.6 and also
  corrected again in 1.38.0. In case static addresses are manually set,
  those should take first priority, with DHCPv6 second and
  SLAAC/autoconf last.

  Implications:

  This can break many real-life use cases. For instance, my router gives
  out static leases to my machines. Those addresses are whitelisted in
  all kinds of firewalls to allow me to access servers for my work. Now
  that the "wrong" address is being preferred for outgoing traffic (a
  SLAAC address that I have no influence on and cannot centrally
  configure), I am being locked out of the servers in question unless I
  forcefully remove the addresses or disable SLAAC on my router, so my
  outgoing traffic is being routed through the DHCPv6 address again.

  Note that "just disabling SLAAC RA's on the router" is not something
  everybody can do, as it requires root access to the device. Moreover,
  it would break IPv6 connectivity entirely for devices that don't
  support DHCPv6 (read: Android).

  Conclusion:

  So this update introduces a very breaking change in IPv6 source
  address selection to an LTS release, while LTS releases should be
  stable.

  I should note that the bug is not present in NetworkManager 1.38.0 on
  Debian sid. That just prefers DHCPv6 addresses when available, like it
  should. As that version is also used in Ubuntu kinetic, most likely
  this bug is not present there.

  Looking at the changelog of 1.38.0:

  * Fix bug setting priority for IP addresses.
  * Static IPv6 addresses from "ipv6.addresses" are now preferred over
addresses from DHCPv6, which are preferred over addresses from autoconf. This
affects IPv6 source address selection, if the rules from RFC 6724, section 5
don't give a exhaustive match.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/-/blob/nm-1-38/NEWS

  It looks like Ubuntu just introduced that bug by upgrading to 1.36.6,
  while a proper fix has only landed in 1.38.0, leaving the 1.36.x
  series now broken. Please either backport the fix from 1.38.0 or
  revert to 1.36.4, which was working fine.

  System information:

  /etc/os-release:

  PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 22.04 LTS"
  NAME="Ubuntu"