** Tags added: fr-2482

  systemd-oomd frequently kills firefox and visual studio code

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in systemd source package in Kinetic:
  Confirmed
Status in systemd package in Fedora:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  Since I installed Ubuntu 22.04, firefox and visual studio code are
  frequently killed by systemd-oomd (every 2hours).

  I have 8 GB memory and never experienced this before the upgrade to
  Ubuntu 22.04. I thus assume that the claim that there is not enough
  memory is abusive. Did 64GB of memory become the minimum requirement
  to run Ubuntu ?

  The second problem is that it gives a very bad user experience which
  is critical for new Ubuntu users.

  There should be a warning prior killing apps to give the opportunity
  to save the app data. There should at least be an apologize and an
  explanation after killing the app.

  The current behavior gives the impression that Ubuntu 22.04 is
  unreliable and unsafe to use which is a problem for an LTS release
  that many people might want to use for critical production context.

  There might be a configuration problem with systemd-oomd or simply a
  bogus behavior. I would recommend to disable it or remove it
  completely until this problem is resolved. This is what I will do for
  myself because I have work to do.