So I think a big class of programs to consider that are affected by this
potentially are those that use a statically linked OpenSSL v1, not just
Node.js or any leftover programs that dynamically link against
libssl1.1.

And that's... a lot of software off the internet ;)

If it indeed is the case that OpenSSL falls back to the exact default
behavior the current config specifies in its sections if those sections
aren't there, then IMO the backport still makes a lot of sense.

Anyway... it appears as though Node.js have fixed this as a side-effect
of their recent update:
https://nodejs.org/en/blog/vulnerability/july-2022-security-
releases/#dll-hijacking-on-windows-high-cve-2022-32223

I was able to verify that the latest 14.20 and 16.16 releases work fine.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openssl in Ubuntu.

  Apps expecting an OpenSSL 1.1 -formatted openssl.cnf fail

Status in nodejs package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in openssl package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in nodejs source package in Jammy:
  Confirmed
Status in openssl source package in Jammy:
  Incomplete
Status in nodejs source package in Kinetic:
  Confirmed
Status in openssl source package in Kinetic:

  [Impact]
  While the default configuration works fine for every package that uses the
system libssl3, any software that uses libssl1.1, either separately packaged
(e.g. as an upgrade leftover) or vendored in (as in nodejs in our own archive)
will fail to load the configuration as they don't have any notion of providers.

  If the provider section isn't present in the configuration, libssl3
  will load the default provider, which means that commenting out the
  section won't impact the behavior of standard libssl3 users.

  [Test Plan]

  On a system with a pristine openssl configuration:

  $ sudo apt install nodejs
  $ nodejs - <<EOF
  var crypto = require('crypto')
  const { privateKey, publicKey } = crypto.generateKeyPairSync('rsa', {
modulusLength: 2048 });
  var sign = crypto.createSign('RSA-SHA256');
  sign.update(Buffer.from("hello"));
  sign.sign(privateKey.export({type: 'pkcs1', format: 'pem'}));
  EOF

  Without the fix, the nodejs execution will have a non-zero return code and an
uncaught exception with the following line:
  Error: error:25066067:DSO support routines:dlfcn_load:could not load the
shared library

  With the fix, there shouldn't be any output, and an exit code of 0.

  [Where problems could occur]

  There could easily be user errors when trying to merge the new
  configuration, for instance if they enabled the legacy provider, as
  they might comment out the default provider loading section (which is
  necessary if any other provider is explicitly loaded).

  [Other Info]

  Dear SRU team, please do not move this from -proposed to -updates before
  the apt phasing fix has reached it first:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/charm-mysql-innodb-cluster/+bug/1979244

  [Original report]
  ~ $ lsb-release -a
  No LSB modules are available.
  Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
  Release:      22.04
  Codename:     jammy

  https://launchpad.net/debian/+source/openssl/3.0.3-7 includes a single
  change,
  https://sources.debian.org/src/openssl/3.0.3-8/debian/patches/Remove-
  the-provider-section.patch/

  That patch solves a problem with programs that use OpenSSL v1
  (statically or dynamically linked); these still read
  /etc/ssl/openssl.cnf, but the v3-specific sections in the sid/jammy
  default config may cause a failure.

  One example: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1011051

  Another example: a (non-Ubuntu) Node.js v16 (OpenSSL compiled
  statically) hits an error in its crypto lib:

  ~ $ node
  Welcome to Node.js v16.15.0.
  Type ".help" for more information.
  …
  > var sign = crypto.createSign('RSA-SHA256')
  …
  > sign.update(Buffer.from("hello"))
  …
  > sign.sign(privateKey.export({type: 'pkcs1', format: 'pem'}))
  Uncaught:
  Error: error:25066067:DSO support routines:dlfcn_load:could not load the
shared library
      at Sign.sign (node:internal/crypto/sig:131:29) {
    opensslErrorStack: [
      'error:0E076071:configuration file routines:module_run:unknown module
name',
      'error:0E07506E:configuration file routines:module_load_dso:error loading
dso',
      'error:25070067:DSO support routines:DSO_load:could not load the shared
library'
    ],
    library: 'DSO support routines',
    function: 'dlfcn_load',
    reason: 'could not load the shared library',
    code: 'ERR_OSSL_DSO_COULD_NOT_LOAD_THE_SHARED_LIBRARY'
  }

  Removing the relevant provider section lines (the Debian patch doesn't
  apply cleanly, hence the use of sed) fixes it:

  ~ $ sed -i '/_sect\b/s/^/# /' /etc/ssl/openssl.cnf
  ~ $ node
  Welcome to Node.js v16.15.0.
  Type ".help" for more information.
  > const { privateKey, publicKey } = crypto.generateKeyPairSync('rsa', {
modulusLength: 2048 });
  …
  > var sign = crypto.createSign('RSA-SHA256')
  …
  > sign.update(Buffer.from("hello"))
  …
  > sign.sign(privateKey.export({type: 'pkcs1', format: 'pem'}))
  <Buffer c5 e7 ba 01 5a 33 3f 26 43 bb 4e 47 99 49 e4 c7 60 41 be c6 91 63 c6
5d 0a af 78 5c 15 4a 9f 1a e7 24 99 ce 6a f0 05 b5 48 96 4e 59 b8 d5 69 df 3c
bc ... 206 more bytes>

  I realize there is no libssl1.1 on jammy, but a statically linked
  OpenSSL is not uncommon (Node.js being a very prominent example).

  Would it be possible to get this Debian sid change ported to jammy?