Thank you buswedg, not sure how, but i managed to somehow reinstall and
repair my installation. All my files are intact but it's now pulling
down 334mb of updates so hopefully it doesn't break again, otherwise i
will be making a beeline for Debian.  And also need to figure out the
DMAR error..

Edit: so now after the update I received three flashes of the error
device name is empty again, however this time it completed booting...

  mtd device must be supplied (device name is empty)

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  After updating my 22.04 system (possibly caused by Systemd update).
  And now booting, dmesg has two errors:

  'mtd device must be supplied (device name is empty)'.

  See line 8 and 134 in the included logfile.

  The system are booting as it should though, and the system are working
  like it should no errors at all.

  Is this maybe caused by 'efi-pstore-not-cleared-on-boot.patch' in
  systemd?

  I have an EFI mounted at boot but it isn't used because I have
  installed my system in legacy BIOS mode.

  Is this maybe the culprit?

  I could ignore the message but it isn't nice though.

  Regards