Public bug reported:

On a default idle Ubuntu kinetic container, the second largest process
by resident memory is '/usr/share/unattended-upgrades/unattended-
upgrade-shutdown --wait-for-signal'.

We want unattended-upgrades to be installed by default in all container
images, but this process is heavyweight and needs to go.

I see two possible solutions:
- construct a systemd unit that DTRT at shutdown without having to leave a
process resident (but er the u-u maintainer knows a bit about systemd so this
may not be feasible with the desired semantics?)
- instead of running the python script, implement a small shell wrapper that
waits for the signal and execs u-u-shutdown, so that we only pay the memory
cost of this script during shutdown.

** Affects: unattended-upgrades (Ubuntu)

** Tags: fr-2570

** Tags added: fr-2570

** Changed in: unattended-upgrades (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unattended-upgrades in

  /usr/share/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrade-shutdown always
  running, uses too much memory

Status in unattended-upgrades package in Ubuntu: