** Changed in: apt (Ubuntu Jammy)

** Description changed:

- On an Ubuntu 22.04 desktop system created using the current installation
- image without enabling package updates over the network, installing the
- package libudev1 results in a large number of critical packages being
- removed and rendering the system essentially unusable.
+ [Impact]
+ On an Ubuntu 22.04 desktop system created using the current installation
image without enabling package updates over the network, installing the package
libudev1 results in a large number of critical packages being removed and
rendering the system essentially unusable.
+
+ [Test plan]
+ Comprehensive regression test suite validating a full solver dump with the
issue is run as autopkgtest.
+
+ [Where problems could occur]
+ We could break other things from resolving. The solver is a bit finicky.
Hopefully this is isolated enough.
+
+ [Other info]

  https://github.com/tfoote/udevdebug/blob/main/Dockerfile is a Dockerfile
which also demonstrates the issue.
  Building the image, which will install udev 249.11-0ubuntu3 and init 1.62,
and then running `apt install libudev1` in the generated image results in

  The following packages will be REMOVED:
-   libnss-systemd libpam-systemd systemd-timesyncd udev
+   libnss-systemd libpam-systemd systemd-timesyncd udev
-   libudev1
+   libudev1

-
- This is completely prevented by ensuring that updates are installed from the
jammy-updates repository before installing any additional packages and that is
almost certainly the correct thing to do. But this is a punishing result for
such a mistake.
+ This is completely prevented by ensuring that updates are installed from
+ the jammy-updates repository before installing any additional packages
+ and that is almost certainly the correct thing to do. But this is a
+ punishing result for such a mistake.

  I would expect the installation to either force the upgrade of the other
  systemd packages or refuse to install libudev1 at the incorrect version
  relative to the other systemd packages until the system is upgraded.

  We found this out via a user report for ROS 2 Humble which is releasing
  on top of Ubuntu 22.04 next week:
  https://github.com/ros2/ros2/issues/1272

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  Installing libudev1 on a new Jammy installation uninstalls many
  packages.

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in apt source package in Jammy:
  In Progress
Status in apt source package in Kinetic:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  [Impact]