So I held back fdroidserver and squid on my system. apt update tells me:

    49 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see
them.

When I run dist-upgrade I get:

      fdroidserver python-apt-dev python3-apt squid
      [...]
    45 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 4 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

So the behavior here is consistent: phasing updates that are "not for
us" behave like held packages, so I think this is won't fix.

It's at odds with the previous implementation which completely hid them,
but oh well, so is the upgrades being displayed as kept back.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  opt out of phased updates - still shown

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  when opting out of phased updates, apt still tells me that there are
  updates.

  Expected behaviour: should hide those updates.