All autopkgtests for the newly accepted apt (1.6.17) for bionic have finished
running.
The following regressions have been reported in tests triggered by the package:

unattended-upgrades/1.1ubuntu1.18.04.14 (s390x)

Please visit the excuses page listed below and investigate the failures,
proceeding afterwards as per the StableReleaseUpdates policy regarding
autopkgtest regressions [1].

https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/proposed-
migration/bionic/update_excuses.html#apt

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates#Autopkgtest_Regressions

Thank you!

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  regression: apt.postint fails if never previously configured

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in apt source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in apt source package in Focal:

  [Impact]
  bootstrapping a system with apt that fixes #1968154 fails in focal and
bionic, as they try to execute the config file that is being removed.

  This is not a problem on updates, only on new installs, so impact is
  limited to bootstrapping tools that enable -updates, such as
  mmdebstrap.

  [Test case]

  bootstrapping with -updates enabled can easily be tested with
  mmdebstrap:

  mmdebstrap -v focal ~/Projects/Ubuntu/Scratch/focal

  for example, on focal:

  Setting up apt (2.0.8) ...
  /var/lib/dpkg/info/apt.postinst: 65: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal:
not found
  dpkg: error processing package apt (--configure):
   installed apt package post-installation script subprocess returned error
exit status 127

  [Regression potential]
  We remove 5 lines from the shell postinst script, there could be syntax
errors? But then we'd see those during upgrades, so practically none.

  [Original bug report]
  #1968154 removed `/etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal` in this patch:

https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/commit/?id=f9d2d993687c0d5223c241956ef6a0aabcf15bf0

  ...but `apt.postinst` still tries to run it:

      # create kernel autoremoval blacklist on update
      if dpkg --compare-versions "$2" lt 0.9.9.3; then
          /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal
      fi

  If I understand correctly, "$2" is the most-recently-configured-
  version, and if it's empty `dpkg --compare-versions lt` will evaluate
  to true.

  This fails when I'm building a focal (20.04) userspace from scratch:

      $ dpkg --configure -a
      [...]
      Setting up apt (2.0.8) ...
      /var/lib/dpkg/info/apt.postinst: 65:
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal: not found
      dpkg: error processing package apt (--configure):
       installed apt package post-installation script subprocess returned error
exit status 127

  It works with apt 2.0.6.