So the next step would be to get more clarity on the complexity of the patch
that is required.
We have the (initial) PR 410 incl. in the zlib package, plus the patches from
LP#1899621 and LP#1961427 on top.
Hence we cannot directly use the new version of PR 410:
https://github.com/madler/zlib/pull/410
and also the zlib diff:
https://github.com/madler/zlib/compare/e6aed68ff815be74855ec6a19d6ae35065a4adb4..171d0ff3c9ed40da0ac14085ab16b766b1162069#diff-325baa03829572a9f26b4bb8b3cada1ddc637854529d6a6cb111b8c3ca785620
seems to incl. more than just the fix for 'zlib: inflate() does not update
strm.adler if DFLTCC is used'.

For example I'm pretty sure that the modifications in contrib/s390/dfltcc.c and
infback.c (as listed in the zlib diff) are part of the fix, but since I'm not
the author I am unsure if this is everything that's needed.
Are the changes in the crc32 needed on top?
I think the typo fixes can be largely neglected ...

Hence can you please provide us with a patch/backport for the minimal changes
that are needed to fix 'zlib: inflate() does not update strm.adler if DFLTCC is
used' and that applies on top of what's already in the zlib package (obviously
after the quilt patches were applied)?
Ideally based on the kinetic package (but the zlib packages in jammy and focal
are pretty close, hence I assume that a backport will apply there too.)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to zlib in Ubuntu.

  [UBUNTU 20.04] zlib: inflate() does not update strm.adler if DFLTCC is
  used

Status in Ubuntu on IBM z Systems:
  New
Status in zlib package in Ubuntu:

  == Comment: #0 - Ilya Leoshkevich <i...@de.ibm.com> - 2022-09-21 05:02:24 ==
  inflate() does not update strm.adler if DFLTCC is used.

  Found with a JDK test.

  zlib-ng PR: https://github.com/zlib-ng/zlib-ng/pull/1349

  Updated zlib PR: https://github.com/madler/zlib/pull/410

  zlib tag: https://github.com/iii-i/zlib/releases/tag/dfltcc-20220920

  zlib diff:

https://github.com/madler/zlib/compare/e6aed68ff815be74855ec6a19d6ae35065a4adb4..171d0ff3c9ed40da0ac14085ab16b766b1162069#diff-325baa03829572a9f26b4bb8b3cada1ddc637854529d6a6cb111b8c3ca785620

  Ubuntu 20.04 and later need to be fixed.